Monday, September 19, 2005

Details, details

Ever heard the expression “the devil is in the details’? Well I am telling you, it is true! I was expecting to have lots of free time after we moved out of our house. Other than going to Curves three times a week and working at my really part time job 2 afternoons a week I pictured having a pretty free calendar. Boy was I wrong!
Both Harold and I are on the organizing committee of a large bicycle tour called the Skittles Waco Wild West Century Bicycle Tour. This is the 21st year for the ride, which averages 1,500 riders per year. Routes are 10, 25, 50 65 and 100 miles. I formerly was in charge of publicity and have been able to pass that duty on to another committee member. Harold is in charge of recruiting groups to run the rest stops. So far, no other committee members have stepped forward to handle that. He has been busy lining up groups, working out conflicts with locations and schedules and ordering supplies. Additionally he and I both have been trying to find sponsors to help defray costs. The ride is coming up on Saturday, September 24. One reason we decided to make our Mexican move in early October is so that we would be here for the ride.
There are many things to consider when moving out of the country. We have been consolidating bank accounts, setting up and checking electronic banking options as well as back-up plans for accessing our money. We have arrangements made for our mail (Mom and Dad will screen it and let us know what’s important). My health insurance will cover us in Mexico. I called Aetna several times to make sure I know how to file our claims properly. Our prescription drug coverage will not mail drugs to Mexico so we had to get an exemption allowing us to get 6 months worth of prescriptions instead of the normal 3. Both Harold and I have been to the family doctor for check-ups.
Lake Chapala Moving Company will come on October 4 to pick up our household goods. We are completing packing boxes to go in the moving truck. An inventory list is required for everything going in the truck. There is another stack of stuff that will go with us in the car.
I called the American contact person for Lake Chapala Moving and arranged the trailer drop-off and pick-up. First we had to make sure the guys who are doing the loading were available that day.
I have also been doing some shopping for things for other people. Ebay has been busy with my orders! Then when the things come, they are packed to go.
We now only have a few weeks to go. After the household goods leave October 4, we plan on leaving here October 9 and arriving in Bucerias on October 11.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sue, I am so happy for you two leaving so soon! I guess jealous fits in there too! hahaha. It will be our turn soon enough. I hope your move goes smoothly and i'll see you in Oct/Nov! :)

Tara